Wednesday 4 November 2009

Turquoise and Tripod: daily outfit #4



How close shall I stand to this thing? This close?



Hmm... no, I want to be able to see my outfit, not the individual pores on my face. How about this?



Sigh. Clearly this tripod thing is going to take a little bit of getting used to. If you can make me out amid the 'arty' blur, I am wearing:
Hat: Rose Red Beret, my own work
Cardigan: Liesl, my own work
Dress: Urban Outfitters
Tights: Marks and Spencer
Shoes: Office

My cousin gave me this necklace several years ago, to wear to be her bridesmaid. The stone is a black opal, and I was and am entranced by it. I remember being mystified by the popularity of diamonds, which in my fourteen-year-old opinion could not hope to compete with the fire and intensity of the opal's shifting colours.




I had always thought that opals were supposed to be unlucky, but after a few minutes of serious, interwebz-based research I have discovered that this is in fact a fairly recent superstition, which seems to date from the publication in 1829 of Walter Scott's Anne of Geierstein. Hermione, one of the characters in the book, wears a beautiful and mysterious opal talisman, which she guards carefully. One day, a drop of holy water splashes onto it; 'the opal... shot out a brilliant spark like a failing star, and became the instant afterwards lightless and colourless as a common pebble', while its wearer is reduced to 'a handful of light grey ashes, like such as might have been produced by burning fine paper.' I have just dabbed a cautious drop of water onto mine, and am pleased to report no fatal consequences.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome outfit!! And do you have the cutest freckles or what??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these all images it look so nice and cool I am really a excited about this one it is really cool.bro.Thank you for this post it has very useful information.please keep posting like this with this useful information

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not find this useful sadly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I adore reading them! I shall endeavour to reply (in comment form), so do check back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails