Tuesday 24 November 2009

Audrey: Black is the New Black



At long last, may I present to you Audrey in Unst, which I am wearing here with a vintage hand-sewn dress I snaffled for a paltry 15 Euros in Madrid this summer.



This straightforward cardigan took me an embarrassingly long time to knit. I'm not sure whether to ascribe this to the black yarn, the acres of stocking stitch, or my general lack of mojo. Anyway, she's finished now, and I delight in her every aspect, from the deep, inky colour, to the twisted rib, to the lace bib...




... to the vintage glass buttons I got from Loop ages ago, which have been patiently waiting in my button house for the right project. Incidentally, I bungled the positioning of the top buttonhole, so just sewed the button on in the right place and added a snap fastening behind it.



I think it will be an awfully long time before I knit anything black again. I Magic Loop-ed both sleeves at once, which had the advantage of using up every scrap of yarn, and the disadvantage of making me feel like I would be knitting till the end of time. There is, however, no denying how useful a black cardigan can be - since I finished this it has been practically surgically attached to me. I hope that is just the right level of effortless glamour for a latter-day breakfast date at Tiffany's.

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I love this pattern, you've made it classic in black! And your styling with the buttons and that dress is wonderful, I wish I had that sense of combining clothes so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love it - a perfect basic, but with special details to make it memorable. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...I am so jealous! Amazing piece with absolutely adorable buttons!
    And hilarious posting title =) I so HATE when people (especially my mother) come up with this line that something is the new something blabla... I actually inhaled some of my coffee while reading the title =) So I guess inhaling is the new drinking!
    I haven't knitted anything in black apart from hats yet, so I can only imagine how boring it must be to knit a major project in black. But I too seem to put on black cardigans a lot more often than I put on my other cardigans.
    Last but not least, you picked a very nice background for the shot, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, what a gorgeous cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much everyone! I am so very glad to be finished this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the nicest black cardi in the whole blogesphere! I gots to knit me something like this (I'd imagine some basic Fisher Price version)one of these days, my black cardi is nearly dead. Umm, did you say you have a button house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely beautiful! I'm going to make an Audrey myself - would you mind terribly if I copied you on the button choice?! I am yet to finalise my colour choices but I am leaning heavily towards a beautiful sage green yarn I have spotted in Iknit, and the vintage buttons with gold detail would be so perfect! I didn't even know Loop sold buttons.
    Your dress is just gorgeous too - what an amazing bargain!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, what a lot of lovely comments (including one from the designer - how exciting!).

    Zoe - I keep my buttons in a tiny, tin house, yes. It used to house fudge.

    Jane - I would not mind one bit if you copied my button choice! As I recall, Loop had rather a tempting selection. Was the sage green yarn you mentioned from Iknit Wensleydale Longwool, by any chance? I lusted after that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it is indeed the Wensleydale Longwool! Such lovely yarn - it's got this almost silky feel to it, and a sheen to match. I am so glad you like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like your knitting mojo is back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello again! I've just tagged you on my blog.... hope you'd like to join in!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I adore reading them! I shall endeavour to reply (in comment form), so do check back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails