Friday 6 November 2009

Where do you keep yours?



I awoke this morning to find a big, crafty mess sprawling across my desk. Ugh. It looked like some elves had had a debauched embroidery party, and not bothered to clean up after themselves. Disgusting. I tidied the debris away into here:



This is not the best 'storage solution', I know, and it is most likely I will need another if my floss collection continues to grow. Until it does, though, I am delighted to be able to use my beloved vintage Turkish Delight box, a birthday gift from a few years ago. Edward Said would doubtless have had much to say about its flagrant orientalism, and of course its crude caricatures of a lascivious, pampered gentleman and a promiscuous maiden might be seen as offensive. Personally, however, I am spellbound by this glimpse of an imaginary East. It seems to make sense of Edmund's decision to betray his siblings in return for Turkish Delight The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was having a conversation with a friend a few days ago about how we had both built up a mental image of the confectionary from that book, and been most disappointed with the real thing, rather like the protagonist of 'Araby' from James Joyce's The Dubliners. I suspect this box may once have contained dreams along with Turkish Delight, and so it seems a fitting receptacle for the materials to give my imagination play.



To return to the title of this post, do you keep you crafty supplies anywhere interesting?

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, what a great box of Turkish Delight! I can't imagine a better home for embroidery thread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I adore reading them! I shall endeavour to reply (in comment form), so do check back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails