Tuesday 22 September 2009

I was Snow White but I drifted



Snow White is finally dry! I took her out to meet some of the (hopefully not poisonous) apples in my back garden.







This was a speedy, stress-free knit. Like other Ysolda patterns, it is impeccably laid out, cleverly constructed, and full of interesting details. I love the neck-line: it satisfies a desire I didn't know I had to look like a Cluedo piece (Miss Scarlet, of course). The sculptural ribs accentuate some curves and minimise others.

 

The stretchiness of ribbing is a thing of miracle of knitting engineering - this measures 18" around the waist when laid flat.

I am so pleased with how this turned out. I am glad to have found a good use for this yarn. I love its deep, velvety shade; the colourway - 'Christmas Red' - is appropriate to me, as my birthday is on Christmas Day. All in all, Snow White has just about healed the wound of losing Broderie.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe no one commented on these photos! I'm just having a look at your projects from last year and am totally gobsmacked by your creations! But this one is SO GORGEOUS!! You're inspiring me to knit - how long does it take to do it as well as you do? (read: should I give up now...?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Clare! I learned to knit in the summer of 2007, but only got serious about it around March 2009 (everything I knit before then was a misshapen fail!). So don't give up! I've actually been thinking about posting advice for beginners for a while, but I keep putting it off because I am so far from an expert...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! well that certainly changes my defeatist attitude! I thought you were going to tell me you'd been knitting since you were five or something. It's amazing what you've achieved in a year. I can do stocking stitch but have never followed a pattern before. I do just need to stop being a wimp and get stuck in. I would love it if you posted advice for beginners - I'll be reading your blog anyway so it'd be a bonus! And if you need any sewing advice I'd be happy to help too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife crochets and we love it as does the family, though we stick to blankets mostly lol. Your stitching is AWSOME. Very nicely done. I will show my wife and hopefully she can learn to do what you do, or should I say, knit as well as you do. Cool pics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I adore reading them! I shall endeavour to reply (in comment form), so do check back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails