Wednesday 8 April 2009

Stash shlepping

After what seems like no time at all in Cambridge, I am upping sticks again for another trans-European odyssey. And sticks is not all I'm upping...


Moving around the triangle Edinburgh - Cambridge - Genoa has definitely contributed to my stash problem. Each time I arrive in a new place I stock up on stuff I worry I won't be able to get elsewhere. I know I'll be returning to all of the points of the triangle before too long but... what if the yarn I want is gone by then? And I spend the rest of my life regretting not having bought it?

I accrue more yarn in flagrant denial of the fact that I can't take it all with me wherever I roam, which leads to agonising decisions about what to knit next. Which patterns are sufficiently intricate to keep me interested whilst travelling, but not so complicated that they have the potential to go disastrously wrong if I don't give them my full attention? Then there is the problem of what to do with skeins to which I have to bid a sad, if temporary, farewell. How can I look after their welfare in my absence? Well...


... by turning them into a big, vacuum-packed yarn asteroid, that's how. I'd like to see a moth try to break in to this airless fortress.

Incidentally, just now, as I was packing, I pulled out a shoe bag from my wardrobe and found this in it.


A single mysterious ball of a rather nice colour of felted tweed. Where, when, why did I buy this? What on earth was I going to make that would take just one ball? No idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I adore reading them! I shall endeavour to reply (in comment form), so do check back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails